The Titus

Stockton, CA, United States
So this is the place of my random musings. I have traveled some, talked much and met some of the most interesting people on the planet. I hope that I can give something that you too will find interesting or informative.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

the honeycomb variant

This is a blog I worte back in 2005 while deployed to Iraq


Today I was out on mission and, since my job consist of dropping people off somewhere and then sitting around for hours waitng for them to need a pick up, I found myself thinking back to some of the old toys I used to play with as a child.

One of the things I remember was this little looking glass that had a lens with multiple facets. Each facet saw aproximatly the same thing but at just a slightly different angle. The effect was such that the facets on opposite sides actually showed completely diferent images while the images next to one another were practicaly indistinguishable in difference. Each one once clear and undistorted showing a true image from its individual angle. But if all were focussed on at once it showed a conglomeration the was beautiful and interesting in that you could to some degree tell what you were looking at, but not entirely, and the details escaped you completely.


For some reason at this point my mind decided to go philosophical on me. I found that of much of my life I have been trying to look at things through everyone elses point of view. While this gives a very interesting perspective it lacks any solid definition and leaves a very jumbled, noisy, and sometimes contradicting view of life. At the same time I realized the benefit was that I could appreciate our society for the way that both similar and opposing views come together to form one of the most diverse and beautiful societies in the world. Having spent a year each in two different countries where there is a sort of universal mindset, it is amazing to see the diversity of our country.

(Through this) I realized is that I must have one "angle" through wich I can base my life. One image unblurred by the rest. But also to step back and appreciate the beauty of our conglomeration. And finaly, that though different views may may show a completely diferent picture than mine, this doesnt mean that they are in any way less accurate. Althogh sometimes a lense gets scratched. I guess my conclussions arent all that complex. But I like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment